Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Goon Show

Wow!

What a game. I don't know what game it was. I know it was NOT hockey.

It was an advertisement for why you never put skates on your kid or hand him a stick. I still can't believe it!

I saw an 11 year old kid hit so hard - knee on knee - that he flipped in the air. A mid-air cartwheel - on skates! He could have been hurt and out for the season. Cripes. He could have been crippled for life. It was so scary. It sent shivers down my spine.

Soon after, Cole was in the corner, not more than 20 feet away from me, he made a good legal hit on the forward and the two scrambled for the puck. He was then cross checked from behind into the boards and then lept upon and punched. Two more penalties called. The picture above is Cole's coach explaining that his reaction was good. He did not retaliate. He shook them off and skated away.

It was a whole dirty game of penalty upon penalty.

46 minutes in the penalty box for the Caledon team.
04 minutes in the penalty box for our Oakville team.

I can't even imagine the game sheet. It must be a few pages long! I'm sure there will be some repercussions. No one, during the game, was ejected. No one, during the game, was given more than a minor penalty.

Dirty. Nasty. Messy. Ugh.

Not looking forward to playing them again.

Welcome to rep hockey, I'm told. Yikes!

I was supposed to be away for the weekend. Though I'm sorry to have disappointed my friend Char for not attending, and certainly I'd have loved to meet some of her friends, I'm so glad I stayed at home and went to this game. There is no way that words could really capture the pride we have in our boys for always staying focused on the game with such adversity. No one could have adequately described to me either of the two incidents I sited above.

I'm still filled with a mixture of horror and pride. Our boys are incredible. They stayed calm, measured and focused on the game. The game. Unfortunately, tonight it was not a game of hockey, it was survival.

They are 11-year-old boys.

Give me strength!

2 comments:

Martha said...

Ok, I admit, I'm not a hockey person. I just know "stereotypes". Years ago, the first time I went to a game, I asked my date "will there be blood?"...because in my mind, it was one big slugfest. He laughed, and said "that's only in the movies". Well, apparently, it is also likely to occur if I were to have gone to this game with you.

Glad to hear your guys played the way it is supposed to be!

PS: what does the "rep" stand for?

Lee said...

Hey Martha, ack, not a hockey person! Oh no! (Kidding) Cole plays on our town team and represents our town - rep for short. I suppose it is much like your travel teams in the States.

I am still so proud of our boys for keeping their cool. Our coaches really had things under control.