Saturday, September 20, 2008

Altered Boxes



On our front stairs, each of our kids have a box. These boxes are for the inevitable assortment of belongings that miraculously appear all over the main floor of the house. It drives me crazy so I came up with this idea that if I had boxes on the stairs it would make me less annoyed with the clutter. It has worked to some degree but more often than not belongings end up in the wrong box even though they are on the stairs in birth order, often my children forget their rank!

I have been mulling - which is what I do - the idea of 'altering' the boxes. I'm a very non-creative, creative type. I'm always hesitant to mark up anything pristine. Heaven forbid anything be made too personal! But I am managing to get over this hesitation, this fear, that I might make worse what some manufacturer or engineer decided was perfect.

I presented Claire with her box before she left for the weekend. She was thrilled I "pimped" her box. Um, okay, I get it, I think - "pimped" is a good thing, right? Claire must have loved it based on the squeals and her showing it off to her friend Tati with promises that we would do the same for her (I'd better get on it!).

Very simple. Very fun.

Must make four more!

5 comments:

Cyn M said...

This is FABULOUS!!! Wanna make me one??? LOL
No wonder Claire squealed with delight!!!
Great work!

mborrero said...

LOVE this very gorgeous superlative work!
namaste
melina
living creating & appreciating
my blog
I design for Color Me Daisy
Haute Artist Instructor
Everything Scrapbooks and Stamps DT member

Jayne said...

LOVE how it turned out - great job :)

Sandra Collins said...

this is fantastic!!!

Donna said...

Gorgeous! Where do we place our orders?