Monday, February 18, 2008

Pamela's Blog Challenge: Your Personal Goal

Here is Pamela's challenge for this week:

As women we all spend time putting others first, worrying about them, taking care of their needs, scheduling their lives with little time left over for ourselves. For this week's challenge: What is your most important personal goal for the year? What are you doing that is just for you? How are you trying to improve yourself?

I received this assignment yesterday and it has taken me a bit of time to ponder my entry. My life objectives are far more existential and part of a process as opposed to an end goal.

To me, goals are short term and have a defined beginning, middle and end. They may have life altering impact, but they are essentially confined to a specific task. So, I suppose, for 2008, my goal is to get healthy. The first part of that effort will be to lose weight - about 50 pounds or until I feel better.

To that end, Louis - who shares my goal :) - and I have joined our local YMCA and are considering hiring a personal trainer to beat us up once or twice a week. Another thing that is changing, though hard because of our hectic family schedule, is that we will be eating at home more often. Only out once a week - Thursdays to Mixed Grill - than each time we head out to a rink. Though, tonight, Louis has the younger kids at Ice Sports and they are having dinner there. He won't. The food is terrible, so when he gets home we'll have something together.

I suppose now that I've written it down, and published it on the internet *gasp*, I'm committed!

Fingers crossed that in 2008 this goal can be realized and I can move on to the others on the list.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Good for you! Here's to a healthier 2008.

Anonymous said...

Lee & Louis- Best of luck. The Y has lots of great stuff for kids too. I share your 2008 goals.

DKelly said...

I highly recommend getting the personal trainer. If you pay for it, you'll really, really WANT to be there (even if you're not loving it at first). That's the one thing I did for me 18 months ago and it's the BEST thing I've ever done for me. He kicks my butt but I would never push myself as hard or as efficiently as he does. He can change up the movements and "tweak" the workout to be more effective. You'd never regret it!

Denise Kelly

Sherry said...

Wow. Sounds very similar to some things I need to achieve this year. We can do it, right? I'll cheer for you, if you cheer for me! =]