Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Christmas Questions


I was tagged by my friend, Shirley - thanks :). You could read to the end to see if you were tagged, but I can tell you right now that you weren't. If you want to do the meme, great - leave a comment and let me know you did so I can read your answers!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. But for the odd shaped stuff, it goes in bags.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Growing up, we always had a real tree. I am tremendously allergic but still put on the lights (all red) and decorated it. I am itching just writing about it. Now we have an artificial tree with a ridiculous number of white lights. Though, this year, since we are seriously downsizing, I'm getting a tabletop tree and to make Cole happy, we're putting on multi-coloured lights.

3. When do you put up the tree? December 1st.

4. When do you take the tree down? December 25th or 26th.

5. Do you like eggnog? We have been buying egg nog for over a month now, the kids LOVE it. When I was growing up we "cut" it with milk. I still do, but my kids want it right out of the carton.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I received my very first Canon camera when I was 14.

7. Hardest person to buy for? My step-mother.

8. Easiest person to buy for? My kids.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, after years of looking, I found a beautiful set (at Canadian Tire!) and have yet to find the perfect place to display it in the new house.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I always have good intentions of making and mailing or purchasing and mailing. I end up e-mailing! This year there is a pending mail strike that simply fits beautifully into my lack of preparation :)

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? It's a toss up: the same pink synthetic nightie set received two - or three - years in a row; or, the "rat hair" jacket, I was allergic to, which was received from my fiance, Chris (there was a life before Louis) in 1990.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I enjoy the "Bishop's Wife", the original with Cary Grant, of course. But "Elf" would be a close second. Though, I cannot miss "Rudolph" or any of those other clay-mation specials made in the '60s. It wouldn't be Christmas without them!

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sometime in August, I start my list. I start observing and paying closer attention to what the kids are saying about their interests and needs.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Sure, sometimes we receive duplicates or something we would never use, which we can re-gift, it's easier than returning and I hate waste (shoving in the back of a closet is simply a waste, don't you agree?).

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? I have the best recipe for sugar cookies, I love to receive Elizabeth Shaw (British) chocolate mint crisps, mincemeat pie, my mother-in-law's pork stuffing, the kids love the Pillsbury cookies (yuk).

16. Lights on the tree? I prefer the little white lights - many of them. I decorate the house in white and ivory with a little red thown in (and a ton of nutcrackers!). Cole has made his displeasure known and has requested multi-coloured lights but the nutcrackers stay - I'm holding firm :)

17. Favorite Christmas song? Traditional: "O Holy Night" and anything by the Trans Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? We stay at home.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeers? Yes, but I have to sing through them to remember!

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We have an Angel. We bought it at our very first "One of a Kind" show in Toronto in November 1997.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? This is a transition year. We will be giving each of the kids pajamas on Christmas Eve and a family game. The kids will not receive stockings on Christmas morning since they tend to be filled with smaller items that are quickly discarded. They receive one gift from us and one gift from Santa.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? I really wish the "spirit of Christmas" were more the "spirit of life". Why once a year? Can't you be a giving, generous, thoughtful person throughout the year? I find Christmas fake and uninviting. I'd rather give thoughout the year than save it all up for some kind of performance at Christmas.

23. What theme or color are you using? It seems my lovely ivory and white is being taken over by multi-coloured. But my nutcrackers are STAYING!!

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? We have two Christmas dinners: one at the York Club with my extended family - this year on December 13th; and, another with my husband and children on the afternoon of the 25th. My favourite is roast beef with Yorkshire pudding but it changes depending on demand each year.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I want my kids to get along, enjoy the spirit of the season and realize that they receive what they "need" throughout the year. They are very fortunate and want for very little. I want them to give back. I want them to realize that it is so much better to give than to receive. Really feel it.

2 comments:

Cyn M said...

Some of your answers are just like mine Lee!
One thing I hate about this time of year - the way people are in the shops near Christmas. RUDE RUDE RUDE! It is shocking! So glad I am no longer in Retail!!!
Now, I am hoping to see you still on the 23rd! We are arriving earlier than expected because Ben's new boss couldn't let him have the week of his birthday off. :(
So, hopefully our plans stay intact!!!
Love ya!
Cyn

Cassandra said...

I did these questions.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!