Friday, February 6, 2009

The lies we tell ourselves


You know how every once in a while you remember random conversations?

I was watching Louis favourite show: Iron Chef America, and on it was Chef Mario Batali (pictured above). Which jogged a memory, and as a result, a question. Well, many questions.

A while back there was a conversation between two women. Brunette lady is married to a guy who could be a stand-in for Mario Batali. Blonde lady made a casual observation regarding their similar appearance. Brunette lady went somewhat ballistic. You know how someone overreacts to something? To her, the husband in no way resembled Chef Batali at all and was highly offended by the comparison.

Me, the casual observer? The only difference between the Chef and the husband would be their cooking ability.

I find people fascinating. I find casual delusions intriguing. I am always curious why someone would fool themselves into believing something that is so patently wrong.

The example above is a very small story, there are plenty of others! But I think you get the idea.

My question is, why do people do this? Not that there is anything wrong with it. I just find it inconsistent. Odd, even. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been witness to some kind of white lie people tell themselves. But why? I am completely perplexed. Or delusional! I'm open to being either ... or both.

What is the strangest lie you have ever heard someone tell themselves? Or the funniest? Or the most ridiculous?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it all comes down to feeling inferior or not confident? They delude themselves into believing the lie simply because it makes them deal with the situation better.

Denial can be a wonderful refuge.

I'd have to think about what my experience with this has been ... I know I've been on the receiving end of some doozies, but I can't think of them off the top of my head at the moment.