Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ten things starting with "R"


Jack over at Slightly Off-Centre posted a writing-prompt, which she found over at Yesterday, Today and Forever. A couple of days ago, I asked to play along and I received my letter:

R

The rules of the game are simple. Once assigned a letter you are to post 10 things that you love which begin with that letter. It took me a couple of days to get my act together, but I did manage - see below - to find ten things that start with the letter "R". (If you want to play, leave me a message saying you want to play in my comment area or send an e-mail to leecurrie at cogeco dot ca. I’ll assign a random letter and on and on it goes).

In no particular order:

Research is something I really enjoy doing. I like collecting all kinds of information, reading and analyzing it, then mashing it all together to come up with something either confirming or denying what I (think I) know to be true. I enjoy challenging myself to learn more and to learn about the things I like inside-out and upside-down.

Rainstorms make me feel most alive. I have no idea why, but I’m the type that during a huge rainstorm resplendent with thunder and lightening and driving rain, I will throw open all of the doors and windows and have my house filled with the strength, noise and fury of it all.

Reading is the greatest gift I ever received and the greatest gift I can bestow upon my children. I am constantly harping on them to pick up a book – turn off the TV and the Wii – pick up a book and get lost in another time and place. Oh, the places you can see and things you can do in the pages of a good book.

Radio is my preferred way of “watching” a baseball game. Nothing beats an enthusiastic announcer using his words to describe the game. A quiet room and baseball on the radio: nothing beats it. Even better? Make it a farm team game in some tiny town where their heroes are those young men trying to make it to the “show”.

Recording by way of photographs and scrapbooks, my life, and that of my family, friends and relations, is my favourite thing to do. Sometimes (like recently) I have become quite obsessive about learning as much as I can about the process, about design and about writing. Now I’m moving into the direction of producing.

Raphael was the very first artist/painter/master, I ever discovered who captured my attention. I so enjoyed art history taught in that chaotic basement art room of my youth. A room covered in drops of paint and reeking creativity. My taste has since changed and runs more modern, like Riopelle and Jackson Pollock, but Raphael was my first master and opened my world to embrace art and the works of genius and symbolism. He’s also one of the reasons I want to go to Rome: to see his work in the Vatican.

Retreat is something I do on occasion to recharge and remind myself of the things in my life that are important to me. I retreat: sometimes figuratively by backing down and re-evaluating; or, physically by going to my favourite place – to recharge, reflect and take time to seek a new and or different perspective.

Red is my favourite colour. I have it throughout my house and wardrobe. It is energetic and affirming. It is a very positive colour. It makes me feel good.

Road as in ROADTRIP is the best way to get around. You can stop where you want, take in the sights, enjoy the local food, meet some captivating people and take some interesting photos. Time is different when you’re on the road: you can only get where you’re going in the time the road allows so you may as well relax and enjoy it.

Restaurant is the best way of serving a meal to my family. Lately they are, collectively, driving me crazy with their many and varied demands for meals. So when mid-week arrives, I’m more than happy to pack up the crew and head over to the Mixed Grill where everyone is happy to eat exactly what they want. Thursday is restaurant day: the best day of the week!

12 comments:

Jack said...

I like rainstorms too, espceially in the spring and summer time when you can smell the damp air... almost a sweet smell.

Well done! I loved all your "R" words and your explanations for why you love them :)

MAM said...

OK I'm in :)

Char said...

I'm in too!

Jayne said...

Sure - I'll play :)

KarenSue said...

I'll play!

ditto on the rainstorms, esp the smell after...hmmmmm

Lee said...

I'm so happy you want to participate, to those who sent e-mails, I'll send by e-mail as well:

Monica: C
Char: W
Jayne: T
KarenSue: M

I can't wait to see what you post :)

Sarah said...

I came across your blog through my cousin, Charlene. This looks like great fun - I'll play!

Donna said...

Can I play too please?

At first glance, some of the words seemed 'odd' (to me anyway!) to list as things you love but your explanations for why are great!

Denise said...

I want to play, too!!

Sherry said...

I will play! Love your "R" things. Great post.

Heather said...

Ooooo! I love this! I love your list!! I want to play!! FB me or comment me a letter!!

Lee said...

I'm thrilled more want to play! This was a really fun exercise - though I'm STILL thinking of R-words. Rink anyone? Haha!

Sarah: K
Donna: D
Denise: L
Sherry: S
Heather: F

I'll find everyone via e-mail or facebook to make sure you get your letter assignments.

Can't wait to read your posts!