Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wellness Wednesday: Overwhelmed with possibility ...


Also known as procrastination.

I always procrastinate when there are too many choices before me. I am fortunate to have choices, always. Even when it looks like there is no choice, there is always choice, but that's a topic for another post! This one is about how to kick procrastination in the pants!

The brilliant Leo Babauta from Zen Habits posted this last week:

I’ve been procrastinating a lot lately. I actually love procrastinating and have nothing against it.

But for those of you who want to beat procrastination, here are 10 simple steps:

1. First make sure you really, really, really want to do it. Seriously - don’t skip this step.
2. Keep things simple - don’t mess with tools, formatting, anything, just start.
3. Make it the first thing you do today, before checking email or anything else.
4. Clear away everything that stands in the way of doing. Including turning off the Internet.
5. Just get started. Overcome the initial barrier by diving in.
6. Tell yourself you’re just going to do 10 minutes.
7. Put something you dread more at the top of your to-do list — you’ll put off doing that by doing the other things on your list. (Structured procrastination.)
8. Find something about it that excites you.
9. Forget about perfection. Just start doing it, and fix it later.
10. If you keep procrastinating, re-evaluate whether you really want to do it. Consider not doing it, or putting it on the backburner.

If all else fails, just take a nap or go outside and enjoy the outdoors or do nothing. Life isn’t all about productivity. Do less.

I have been following this site for quite a while (as regular readers know already), bought Leo's book here, and enjoy Leo's updates on Twitter. This is one of the best things I've done for myself in the last few months. I go to this site for insight, motivation and the realization that I'm not the only one trying to find balance in the day-to-day.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Structured procrastination - love it! :) Maybe I should try that one! Seriously - turning off the internet would be a big help but then I wouldn't be so happy so I guess it is a good trade :)

Martha said...

PERFECTLY TIMED POSTING, Lee!

I'm procrastinating on a couple domestic tasks and I am turning over the laptop to the kids and am going to jump right in and take care of the things I need to do......

See you when I'm done!

Jack said...

Procrastination is my middle name! Great post, thanks for the link to Leo's site :)