Thursday, July 2, 2009

June Lessons

Caden contemplating a large stack of books. Is that fear in his eyes?

Over the course of the last few months I have become out of balance. June was a study in chaos. A lot of it could not be avoided with the school year winding down and exams underway:
  • I realized as chaotic as my life is, it is nowhere near busy when compared to some people! I still take on too much and upset myself by not doing things well, because there are just too many things. I have to remind myself to do less and enjoy what I do, more.
  • I began the month still reveling in the joy that was, and continues to be, my few days away in Cape Cod with girlfriends.
  • I have become a huge fan of Japanese food. My friend Kim introduced me to Ami on Cross Ave. and I headed up there with my friend Lynne. Truly? I could eat there every day.
  • We are in the throes of teen angst and after some feathers were unruffled, Claire is far more focused on her baseball than she has been in the last few months. So much so, she hired our former General Manager for a lesson. She got herself to and from the lesson by herself with no prodding and only one reminder.
  • Spoon and Fork is having $12.99 all you can eat lunch. I went up once with Lindy and Elaine. DELISH! Must make plans to return.
  • We enjoyed getting to know Cole’s new Ranger teammates, those who were able to attend the get-to-know-you pool party thrown by one of the new families. Their generosity and humour was greatly appreciated. Thank you Fizz family!
  • Chloe continues to spend a great deal of time with her friends. With the good weather came sleepovers, playdates and her birthday party, in combination with Caden’s party, at Hopedale Bowl. One of the friends at the party has known them both since 2001 and another since 2002 (not bad since their lives began in 1999 and 2000!) and even though they don’t see each other every day, they’re still great friends.
  • 3on3 hockey continues over at Ice2Ice for Caden and at Ice Sports for Cole on Friday nights. Both are having a lot of fun: it’s summer hockey; fun is the point, right?
  • I’m focusing more on my photography (yes, pun intended!). I’ve entered some challenges and am paying more attention to what I’m doing while taking the photo. I also splurged and bought myself the much coveted Canon 40D before there were none left! Wow, is it ever fast. I think I'm going to like this, especially for sports and low light events :) We're recycling the old Rebel to Claire. She has a great eye and this upgrade might just help a bit - and save us money on lenses!
  • I’m learning that people are great at spending other people’s money. It makes me angry, but there isn’t anything I can do about it to make it change, I just ask a ton of questions.
  • I wasn’t walking enough. I was actually walking HALF of what I needed to walk. So, now I’m walking more, WAY more. First crossing Canada (virtually, of course) and who knows, I might cross the US and Europe next!
  • Cole is half way through his first course of allergy shots. $300 for serum or $300 for Reactine which rarely worked. Fingers crossed that he can start school in September with his eyes wide open rather than swollen slits this year.
  • Claire enjoyed her Dragonboat season with the Appleby group and the gala to end the season was wonderful. The Appleby boats, two entries, came in #1 and #2. Great job!
  • I continue to participate in the 12of12 challenge each month. So much fun to look back at each entry and see the progression of our days.
  • I finally changed my cellular service, not only do I now receive voice mail, but my phone now rings more than half a ring! I can answer calls and talk to my friends. Yay!
  • The Penguins won the Stanley Cup much to the disappointment of Cole and Caden, but really, the rest of us were perfectly happy to see the end of the hockey season! Well, not really the end, we’ve since watched the Draft and there is much speculation and conversation with the pending trade deadline.
  • Caden was thrilled to receive much, much, much LEGO for his birthday. The obsession continues. Who can complain?
  • It continues to be a crazy spring – Canadian style. Wet and rainy followed by tropical heat and then more rain. We’ve already had high rainfall warnings as well as heat warnings.
  • Louis celebrated his 47th birthday.
  • Lacrosse ended with the boys teams playing very well Caden’s team played the spoiler by beating the number 1 team in order to make them work a bit for the championship. Cole’s team was wonderful and came in 2nd overall in the Championship game.
  • Cole and Chloe auditioned for Eastview Idol. Cole was the last one standing and I really enjoyed watching him sing on stage.
  • With the end of lacrosse we have so much free time! No more practice or games x2. Whatever will we do?
  • Louis joined me at the DARE graduation. The irony was not lost on either of us.
  • Summer BINGO was devised based on guidance found on Stacy Julian’s blog. I even joined the Facebook group. I also devised a summer chore list which they’ve enjoyed … so far!
  • Except for the occasional blog post this summer, we will be enjoying our time outdoors!

6 comments:

Martha said...

I love your first reflection about working on doing less but enjoying those things more. I think we can all take a page from THAT book!

Thanks for the update...never a dull moment around your house, eh?

And belated Happy Canada Day! :)

Sherry said...

Wow. I don't know what any of this post even said...I couldn't get past the amazing picture you took of Caden and the books. Great shot!
Okay...I did finally get past it. It was fun catching up and I could relate to a lot of it. I haven't been online much at all (in comparison to when I worked on the computer), but I still love to come here to read...and know you more. =]
Finally got my husband to try sashimi and not just the same ole California roll or Crunchy roll...lol He loved it. Rainbow Roll is now his favorite. Take care.

shirley said...

Congrats on the new camera! Did you take the picture of Caden with it? Great picture, BTW!

L~ said...

great picture! how did you choose your camera?

Barb said...

Wow Lee, I love that photo. The depth of field is awesome! And as I read your list, I realize that, yes, there are other people out there who are crazy busy, just like I am. I'm trying so hard to pare down my list of commitments, but it's just not working for me. lol. The stuff I've hung onto is too important for me to let go of just yet. :)

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Re: remembering manufacturers, I wish my memory was better at remembering things that are actually USEFUL! :P

jillconyers said...

Like everyone has mentioned...great photo!

If June was a study in chaos we were both studying the same thing. I'm constantly seeking balance while trying to accomplish everything I want to do. That is no easy task.

Being home from work for summer break means a lot of time outside and a lot of mom time. I cherish having summer off with Alec and Alyssa.

Have a great day Lee!

PS I have camera-envy!