Thursday, October 1, 2009

*8 Things: Songs Most Heard On My iPod



My iPod is generally filled with scrapbook and design tutorials downloaded from iTunes and some of the brilliant blogs I've shared with you. Occasionally, I do listen to music ;) These are the songs most played, which did, to some degree, come to a surprise to me when I saw the number of times played column.

Imogen Heap: Goodnight and Go
I am a huge fan of Imogen Heap, what a talent! Her music is very theatrical and heavily produced. Her new album (are they still called albums?) Ellipse is out and that playlist is certainly making a rise to the top of my "most played" list.

Maroon 5: Won't Go Home Without You
I have always liked Maroon 5 which surprises me. I'm not usually a fan of falsetto as a vocal trick, but Adam Levine manages to pull it off without being too feminine or pitchy. So anxious for their planned next release in 2010.

Blue October: Into the Ocean
The lyrics of all Blue October songs are so poetic, dark, full of suffering, pain and redemption. Melancholic. Wonderful. Think: Peter Gabriel in band form. For a real dose: Hate Me.

KT Tunstall: Little Favours
I am a huge fan of KT Tunstall. HUGE. She is truly a rock star. She is also a tremendous poet with lovely lyrics and rich vocals.

Stabilo: Don't Look in Their Eyes
If you aren't Canadian you might not have any idea about this band. To be honest, I don't even know if they're still together as a band. Again, wonderful lyrics. Very powerful verbal illustrations.

The Lonely Island: I'm on a Boat
This is one of my son Cole's most favourite songs of the summer. Warning: EXPLICIT so don't listen unless you're interested in F-bombs everywhere. But, let me tell you, when he sang the song, at the top of his lungs and replaced certain words with fudge and sugar without missing a beat, that will be one of the most fun memories of the summer of '09.

Adele: Chasing Pavements
Another very talented Brit with a rocking '60's soul-influenced voice. I could listen to this song over and over, and clearly I do!

Alicia Keys: If I Ain't Got You
I can't imagine another more romantic song. Truly romantic. Beautiful tune and lyrics. "Some people want it all, but I don't want nothing at all ...." Wonderful. The message of the whole song is so real. So honest. So right.

What are you listening to? Anything you want to recommend? What were your songs of this past summer?

Are you playing along? What is your *8 Things this week?

4 comments:

Jayne said...

Believe it or not I don't know any of these - I will have to have a listen...

Lee said...

You'll have to let me know if you like any of them, Jayne!

shirley said...

I love KT Tunstall, too! Great list, although I don't know some of the songs.
I really fell in love with Holly Brook this summer - her album, Like Blood, Like Honey contains rich, flowing melodies. It's not boppy music, but I love it.

Stacey said...

Great song list - I love Imogen Heap and Blue October and have many of their songs in my playlists. Thanks for introducing Stabilo - I checked out their other songs - they are very good!!
How about these - these are some of my favorites:
Josh Kelly
Snow Patrol
Matt and Kim
Lenka
Erin McCarley
Greg Laswell
Angels and Airwaves
The Fray
Glasvegas
Oh and Xander, Macey and I are really liking Bob Marley lately.