Monday, November 2, 2009

My October Project

I spent the month of October participating in LOAD. This Layout A Day project is run by the lovely Lain Ehmann of BPS and Ella Publishing fame. So, above and beyond our crazy life schedule, by midnight every night, I managed to complete and upload a scrapbook layout every day. Whoot!! By some miracle I was able to make a layout each day through all of the 31 days in October. I'm THRILLED, really overjoyed to have stuck with it and managed to meet this particular challenge.



As a result, I've decided to start up a 365 Layouts in 365 Days challenge on Flickr. It's the same as a Layout A Day with a twist: you upload 7 layouts every Sunday, by 11:59PM Eastern. Not quite the same, but still a challenge. Even if you do one layout a week you'll be 52 layouts ahead by the end of the year. And, for those who participated in LOAD, we're 31 layouts ahead already!

What did I learn this month?
  • LOAD is like going to a month-long retreat with your best friends and not have to lug your stuff anywhere, certainly not have to clear customs! Totally hassle free :)
  • Not all layouts are publish-worthy and they don't have to be!
  • A quick layout is just as good as the one that takes hours.
  • My style is my own and it doesn't have to be the same as anyone else.
  • I appreciate, greatly, the talent of others.
  • Feedback is fantastic, so I leave many comments, and hope for the same!
  • I seriously have to get over my first terrible and negative digi experience and make some digital pages.
  • A picture might be worth a 1,000 words, but journaling provides context and inclusiveness. Journaling engages the reader.
  • Creativity and tidy do not co-exist well. Well, not in my house!
  • Less is more: one photo, some journaling, nice placement, maybe (just maybe) some embellishment and DONE.
I can't wait to start again in February :)

3 comments:

April said...

I'm with you! Learned a lot from LOAD this month, and reminded myself of some others. Your layouts are truly you and great! Digi's okay, but not as much fun as making a mess on a scrap table!

thekreativelife said...

Love all your layouts Lee! It looks like you've found your groove. ;) And simple is indeed a good thing.

I, too, learned a lot this time around. It's nice to take chances, make mistakes and LEARN from them. lol

Becky said...

Lee your layouts are always inspiring as is your encouraging spirit. Thanks for keeping me going with the 365.